Thursday 15 March 2007

Poetry Thursday – defining moments

(In short; describe a beautiful word before knowing its meaning.)

This week I thought I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I had a list of all these words I'd scribbled down while rereading Jane Austen's Persuasion; a list of words I've wanted for long to do something with and now was my chance. Hooray, this was going to be wonderful.
Or so I thought.
Turns out, when you have a long list of 'wishes' you risk turning them into Frankenstein when you start 'claying' with them all at once.
But I took the risk and I did it.
I created a monstrous glob of words.
So after some nasty swearing I wisely accepted my defeat and decided to start over and this time very modestly, with just one word. Hope it worked.



yours is a world I remember
in stasis
like slumbering primal sleep

a déjà vu
of beautiful frozen faces

memories
waiting for the thaw
anticipating to follow-up
on creation

all the while
patiently waiting


my hidden atavistic sensation






10 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

this is beautiful, spare poetry. Lovely.

Beaman said...

'a déjà vu
of beautiful frozen faces'

This is a wonderful line. You have created some good imagery here. Good effort.

Clockworkchris said...

Great job. This poem read so wonderfully. I really liked "in stasis like slumbering primal sleep."

gautami tripathy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
gautami tripathy said...

"in stasis
like slumbering primal sleep.."

This takes this verse to another level. Very well done with so few words.

gautami
Aphasia

wendy said...

beautifully crafted.

Norma said...

Very, very nice. You've done so much with just a few words.

My PT is up.

Kimberley McGill said...

Well done.
The poem made me think of those moments of intuitive understanding that I cannot articulate - I just know that I know.

My first week with Poetry Thursday, enjoyed stopping by.

Mary J. said...

I love the line "like slumbering primal sleep." The type of sleep that is deep yet uneasy. Beautiful.

Rethabile said...

Compact niceness. What most of us strive for.